Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Illusive theories...

I read Illusions by Richard Bach. Wasn't pretty impressive, but quite imaginative. And it made me remember a fictitious theory I had toyed with when I was a younger. What if the whole world is an illusion, except you are? Wait, I am not quoting verbatim from Bach's book, because of the keywords "except you are". I mean, for once imagine, that you are the only real thing here. What if everyone else, your friends, relatives etc aren't human forms, as you know it! What if the moment you turn your sight away from them, they turn into another club of creatures, a club devoted solely to mesmerize you with worldly things. You are their subject, your being kept in this illusion of a world, is their only cause, their only occupation. They appear to you as fellow humans, when you look at them, conspiring behind your back to formulate their next step, when you look away. What if a whole new sensational event is just around the corner, like suppose they are going to reveal themselves to you? What if such worlds exist for everyone, and every individual becomes that creature except in his own world, where he alone is a human being? What if these other creatures know exactly what you do, what you think, etc. but do not pass judgement on it based on your concepts of morality, rightiousness, etc?

Or consider another theory, what if whatever you see, is not what others see, but agree on it being the same? What if the color red seems "red" to me, but the same would appear to you, what green appears to me, but you would still call it red? I mean, what if you see 4000A wavelength light as what I call green, whereas I would see it as red? As they taught in electrical classes, that if you change the polarity of electrons and protons, the whole theory can still be proved right. Similar to that, what if everyone has his own know-how about what colors, lines, etc are, and yet physics and other laws of nature hold true for all of us, in all situations? What if what I see as a straight line might seem curved to you, and you still call it straight, because for you even gravity would be similarly curved? What if we all see things differently, but are manipulated into believing they are same?

The reason thesetheories cannot be proved wrong is because from the beginning we have accepted the axiom that laws of the world are unique. We also have assumed that what we see is exactly what others will see. But these axioms cannot be proved either!

Too much fiction?! Haha, so take a chill pill and keep believing in the simpler explanations of the universe. But then again, what if the world is upside down for me, and I call up, "down", and down, "up"??!!! Haha, okie okie, I quit!

Cheers!!!

1 comment:

AM said...

have u read Bachs johnathan livingstone seagull? that, i think, is a real cool piece of work.