Monday, May 08, 2006

Instinctively thinking....

If you know me, you would agree that I am not the kind of person who would accept the existence of God, nor the one who would shove away the idea in some far-away corners of time, never to be debated upon again. However there have been some experiences which have left me a bit perplexed by it all.
Every morning I have a routine. After my Internet session, morning calls and reading the cartoons of Ahmedabad Times, I take my old dog out for a walk. There is a railway line nearby, surrounded on each side by vast lands, which are littered by the refuses left by many. Unfortunately my dog has taken a liking to the agonising smells or perhaps he feels the movement in his bowels only when he sniffs the stench. Either way, I have to walk him through that land everyday. It takes a good 15 minutes which gives me enough time to brood and observe around, besides trying not to land on the landmine-like poops. A few stray cattle always wander around the blessed land, along with few packs of cowardly dogs.
The other day I noticed a cow (No I wasn't changing my preferences from girls to animals). She was fair, the one who is invariably named "bhuri". She had a bead necklace, or should I say, headlace, tied around her forehead, around her horns. This made her look cute and I couldn't help ponder over it. Normally I don't focus on the many cows and dogs around, but this one somehow caught my fancy. And I returned after watching her chew her food as if someone had surreptitiously passed her a chewing gum.
The next day I went for the walk, and found the same cow dead. Right in front of the railway lines with her stomach ballooned up and the stench of death filling the air.
A similar thing happened few months ago with a dog. Now I am not Satan, nor do I have a cursed eye, that kills anyone who manages to catch my sight. Neither am I superstitious, nor am I person who takes sadistic pleasures in seeing dead animals (of course if the animals are the top brasses of our college, its a different matter altogether). But I cant help wonder why was it that I was unconsciously forced to stop and watch these animals a day prior to their demise, and find something peculiar about them which I could not put a finger on. I wonder what forced me to think about them at all, and notice them. Is there some kind of a mental communication, or an unseen and undiscovered form of waves passing from one living organism to another, which I failed to understand properly? Or is it that I focus on all, but tend to remember them only when they are dead!!!
People call it instinct. Many times we look at a stranger and feel reserved about that person. More often than not our "instincts" are proved correct. Its an amazing ability to know a great deal about anything with just a glimpse. But the question is, what is the reason behind these instincts? I am a great believer in instincts and the best form of theory that I can come up with is that you and your behaviour reflects your thoughts and your past. The subtle nuances of a person's behaviour might seem inconspicuous to the conscious eye, but our brain immediately registers the tics and presses the defence mechanisms. Now it seems fairly correct, but the question still remaining is how does the brain know what signals are bad and what signals are good?
Well, for the time being, I don't think I will have the answer. But it sure will make me a bit nervous and thinking, if any being catches my sight near the railway lines again.
Or maybe I will just take my dog on another trail!!!
Cheers!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hello i have already given u my comments on this but would like to add that these instincts are really significant. on the lighter side of whole thing this has worked out only on animals till date but please dont look at humans and get those instincts, if they are ur bad instincts. okie and not me please
cheers!